Police Explorer Program
The Morgan Hill Police Department's Explorer Program provides youth between the ages of 14 to 21 with the opportunity to gain first hand experience and knowledge of the law enforcement profession. The Explorer Program exposes youth to the many duties of police officers and law enforcement professionals while building self-esteem and character. The program's mission is to provide young adults with some of the tools and skills necessary for a career in law enforcement or any career they ultimately choose.
As an Explorer, participants learn the value of team work, cooperation and personal accountability. Explorer's also provide service to the community by volunteering at special events throughout the community. The Explorers also assist the Police Department by assisting officers with various tasks and providing support where needed.
A Police Officer serves as an advisor to the program along with fellow officers, public safety dispatchers and other law enforcement professionals. The Explorers regularly participate in state-wide competitions with Explorers from other agencies. The competitions provide the Explorers with the opportunity to simulate real-life scenarios such as searching for suspicious persons and response to domestic violence calls for service.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 14 - 21
- Applicants must currently be enrolled in school and maintain a "C" average or better
- No felony convictions and no pending criminal cases
- Must posses a genuine interest in law enforcement, providing service to the community and working as a member of a team
- Program is free. Explorers are required to purchase their own uniform and equipment. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify
- Explorers are expected to attend regularly scheduled meetings and trainings
Interested and qualified persons must submit an Explorer application, available here. All applications will be reviewed to ensure that the applicant meets the basic requirements. All applicants must submit to preliminary criminal investigation records check. Qualified applicants will be asked to participate in an interview.
Questions and Information
To learn more about the Explorer Program, contact Acting Corporal Scott Martin by email or at (408) 779-2101.