Hill - Morgan Hill Devco, LLC (NEW Horizons)
GPA2019-0003/ SR2020-0006 Hill - Morgan Hill Devco, LLC. (New Horizons)
The project site is a 69.43-acre undeveloped site currently utilized for agriculture. The property is zoned for residential minimum 7,000 square foot lots. The project proposal includes an amendment to the general plan land use designation for a portion of the site, approximately 2.29-acres, to increase the density from Residential Detached Medium (7-units/acre) to Residential Attached Medium to allow for a Senior Living Facility. Additionally, the project includes a Preliminary Planned Development application that proposes a variety of unit types ranging from single family detached units to multi-family attached units on a variety of lot sizes ranging from 7,000 square foot lots to 3,040 square foot lots.
Northeast quadrant of Hill Road and Barrett Avenue (APN: 817-20-031).
The project proposal which includes 341 housing units at Hill Road and Barrett Avenue, was presented at the September 8, 2020, Planning Commission meeting. Although not required, the applicant requested the proposal move forward to receive preliminary input from City Council prior to final entitlement submittals. The item was agendized for the February 3, 2021, City Council meeting. The presentation, staff report, and attachments can be found here. Due to a citywide internet outage, the February 3, 2021, meeting was cancelled, and all items were pushed to future City Council meetings.
The project as currently designed will require a Planned Development and a General Plan amendment to increase the density on a portion of the site for the senior housing portion of the proposed project. A Planned Development and General Plan Amendment requires both a recommendation from the Planning Commission and approval by the City Council. It is important to note that under state law, the applicant has a right to build a project that is consistent with the base zoning and General Plan designation of the property - which is approximately 7 units to the acre. If the applicant moved forward on this project without the Planned Development and General Plan amendment, only a subdivision map, design permit, and environmental review would be required. In that case, the approval authority would be the Planning Commission.
City Council Public Hearing
The February 3, 2021, City Council meeting was canceled.
Item 5, Preliminary Plan Review of a Residential Planned Development (New Horizons Project) from the cancelled February 3, 2021, City Council meeting will not be rescheduled. The applicant has withdrawn their request for a City Council Preliminary Review.
All emails and letters from the community have been shared with the City Council and City teammates and have been added to the record of the project. The community will have opportunities to provide additional feedback at the various public hearings throughout the next steps as listed below.
Next steps will be as follows:
- Applicant will finalize their project proposal
- City will finalize project description for preparation of the environmental document - an environmental impact report (EIR) will be prepared
- Notice of Preparation for EIR will be prepared and scoping hearing will be scheduled (date tbd - there will be public noticing for this meeting and a community-wide email sent)
- A Virtual Scoping hearing will be held on zoom
- Preparation of the EIR will begin - preparation will take most of 2021
- A Draft EIR will be circulated for public review and comment
- A public comment hearing on the EIR will be held with staff
- A Final Environmental Document will be issued - this document will include a response to comments from the public
- Planning Commission will consider the proposed project and Final EIR and make recommendations to City Council
- City Council will consider the proposed project and Final EIR
Planning Commission Public Hearing
The Planning Commission will hold a Public Hearing on September 8, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. via video conference to discuss a Preliminary Plan Review of this project. To view the Public Hearing Notice Publication click the link below:
- Public Hearing Notice Publication (PDF)
- Applicant Exhibits (PDF)
- September 8, 2020 Planning Commission Meeting (html)
To sign up for notifications and updates on this project, click here.
Project Plans and Specifications
- Preliminary Plan Development - Civil Sheets (PDF)
- Preliminary Architectural Elevations (PDF)
- Land Use Agreement - Exhibit (PDF)
- General Plan Amendment Area (PDF)
- GPA - Land Use Amendment (PDF)
- General Plan Density (PDF)
- General Plan Density (Revised August 31, 2020) (PDF)
- Trail Street Section (PDF)
- Zoning Table (PDF)
- Applicant Exhibits (PDF)
The General Plan Amendment requires environmental review. An initial study is being conducted now. A Notice of Preparation for and Environmental Impact Report and Scoping meeting will be posted after the Preliminary Planned Development Application is taken to Planning Commission for input.