Yard Trimmings, Food Waste & Composting
Compostables (Organic Waste)
Compostable waste includes:
- Non-recyclable, food contaminated paper (ex: pizza boxes)
- Paper towels
- Plate scrapings
- Soiled napkins
- Vegetable scraps
- Yard trimmings
Yard trimmings can be collected in:
- 96 gallon organics carts (available at no charge from Recology South Valley, 408-842-3358)
- Regular 32-gallon garbage cans
- Bundles no larger than 3' x 3'. Individual branches must be less than 3' in length and 6" in diameter. Please tie with twine or other compostable material.
- You may place up to 7 additional cans or bundles out each recycling day
Food Waste Storage Containers
The city will provide 2 under-the-sink containers to assist residents in storing their food wastes before taking them out to the yard trimmings cart. Call 408-310-4169 for more information.
- DO NOT put compostables in plastic bags. Plastic does not compost. Yard trimmings that are put in plastic bags will not be collected.
- Yard trimmings will not be collected as regular trash. Recology South Valley has been instructed not to collect garbage that contains yard trimmings.