Water Conservation FAQs

Is this a State Law requirement?

California Water Code Section 375 authorizes water suppliers to adopt and enforce a comprehensive water conservation program to reduce water consumption and conserve supplies. Article 1.4 of Chapter 2 of Title 4 of Part 4 of Division 2 of the California Civil Code requires that residential and commercial real property built and available for use or occupancy on or before January 1, 1994, be equipped with water-conserving plumbing fixtures.

When does the ordinance come into effect?

June 1, 2022. The Water Conservation Ordinance states that all properties constructed before January 1, 1994, will need to be inspected and retrofitted at the time of sale, if not already completed prior to a sale, to ensure that they have been updated exclusively with high efficiency plumbing fixtures.

Does the Water Conservation Ordinance apply to my household?

All private properties - residential, commercial, and industrial - built on or before January 1, 1994, served by the City of Morgan Hill water utility must abide by the Water Conversation Ordinance 13.04.335. All existing residential, commercial, and industrial buildings shall, at the time of sale, be retrofitted, if not already completed prior to the sale, with high efficiency plumbing fixtures.

What fixtures need to be retrofitted?

Showerheads, toilets, and urinals that were manufactured in 1993 or earlier need to be replaced with the new high efficiency fixtures. The provisions of this chapter shall apply to showers, toilets, and urinals whenever the title to real property is conveyed from the seller to the buyer, for consideration, by means of a grant deed.  

What are the standards for new high efficiency fixtures that I need to switch to?

USEPA WaterSense fixture; or any showerhead rated to use a maximum of 1.8 gallons of water per minute, any high efficiency toilet rated to use a maximum of 1.28 gallons of water per flush, and any urinal and associated flush valve rated to use a maximum of 0.125 gallons of water per flush. Pre-existing toilets that use not more than 1.6 gallons per flush shall be considered to meet the requirements of this code.

Who is responsible for ensuring that the fixtures are retrofitted?

Homeowners will need to arrange for an inspection to be performed by a licensed plumber, who upon completion of inspection, will complete the Water Conservation Inspection Report (PDF). This completed and approved inspection form is needed in order to receive a Water Conservation Certificate from the City.

Who is a Qualified Plumbing Contractor?

A qualified plumbing contractor with meet these requirements:

  1. Licensed Contractor with the State of California
  2. Has a City of Morgan Hill Business License

Why do I need to retrofit my fixtures?

The purpose of this Ordinance is to reduce long-term demand for potable water within the city water service area in order to ensure a reliable and adequate public water supply by establishing water efficiency standards for interior plumbing fixtures when changes in ownership of real property occur. These standards will become an element of the City of Morgan Hill’s water conservation and supply shortage program. The program’s purposes are to reduce water consumption within the City of Morgan Hill through conservation, enable effective water supply planning, assure reasonable and beneficial use of water, prevent waste of water, and maximize the efficient use of water within the City of Morgan Hill to avoid and minimize the effect and hardship of water shortage to the greatest extent possible.

Where and when do I receive a Water Conservation Certification?

When a licensed plumber comes to inspect all fixtures on the property and passes all fixtures as retrofit within, a Water Conservation Inspection Form will be filled out. This completed form will need to be brought to the City with the accompanying payment. At this time, the City will review the inspection form and a Water Conservation Certificate will be awarded to the homeowner. If the inspection fails for any of the fixtures, they will need to be retrofit and another inspection will need to be scheduled. 

What if I live in a mobile home?

Mobile homes are not exempt and are responsible for retrofitting plumbing fixtures.

How do I find a licensed plumber? 

Any plumber with a business license to preform work in the City of Morgan Hill may conduct this inspection.