CCW Phase II
Interview with CCW License Applicant
- All information received is reviewed with the applicant.
- Restrictions (PDF) are discussed with the applicant should a CCW license be approved, including those listed in the application and MHPD specific conditions MHPD Policy 218 (PDF) (PC 26200(a-b).
- Applicants will be contacted by the authorized psychological services agency (Cordico) to schedule an appointment. A payment link will be provided by Cordico for the applicant to pay directly for their evaluation. The fee will not exceed $150; however, payment via credit card accrues a processing fee.
- Upon completion of the psychological evaluation, Cordico notifies the Morgan Hill Police Department indicating whether or not the applicant passed or failed the assessment.
- Cordico will be evaluating applicants for the purpose of identifying any outward indications or history of psychological problems that may render the applicant unfit to carry a firearm. Indications include:
- Propensity to harm self or others
- An inability to distinguish reality from delusion
- Prosopagnosia (inability to recognize facial expressions, and/or experience blurred images, face blindness, etc.)
- Inability to control their behavior or impulses
- Current abuse of alcohol or controlled substances
- Inability to exercise sound judgment regarding the use of a firearm in a manner that is consistent with the law
Firearms Training, Inspection & Safety
- To assure applicants are receiving training regarding best practices and in compliance with mandates and/or laws, CCW license qualification certificates dated prior to receiving approval to complete firearms training will not be accepted.
- It may take several months for a CCW application to proceed through the approval process which may carry over to a change in the law through a senate or assembly bill. If containing an urgency measure or clause the new law becomes effective upon the Governor’s signature.
- All new CCW license applicants shall complete a 16-hour course of training which will include instruction on firearm safety, handling of the firearm, shooting technique, and laws regarding the permissible use of a firearm.
- The course shall include live-fire shooting exercises on a firing range and shall include a demonstration by the applicant of safe handling and shooting proficiency with each firearm the applicant is applying to be licensed to carry.
- No more than three (3) Firearms will be listed on a CCW license.
- Firearms are to be free from alterations from the manufacturer’s specifications, excluding sights or grips; for example, no trigger adjustments, as the department has the right to deny a license for any firearm which has been altered from the manufacture specifications or a firearm deemed unsafe. Additionally, no "AR Pistol” platform or similar style handguns will be approved and the handgun must be capable of being concealed upon a person.