Effective November 1, 2022 - February 28, 2023
Watering Limited to Wednesdays Only
Due to the serious drought facing California, the City of Morgan Hill is in a Level 4 Water Supply Shortage.
Typical lawn and garden bed sprinkler irrigation:
- Wednesdays only
- Irrigation shall only be scheduled before 9 a.m. or after 7 p.m.
- Prevent runoff in any watering cycle
- Each valve or zone shall run for a maximum of 15 minutes in any one day
- No watering of non-functional turf at commercial, industrial and institutional properties
For businesses, limits exist on automatically serving water at restaurants, hotels offering guests the option to decline daily linen service, and construction sites using non-potable water for most site activities.
The City of Morgan Hill has a long history in ensuring that water is used efficiently. You can read the complete Water Waste Ordinance No. 2236 (PDF) or see a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To report any water waste that you may observe, use this form.
Population Growth During a Drought
While thinking about growth during a water shortage is common, the connection between growth and water use is weaker than one might expect. Incredibly, our entire County uses about the same amount of water now as it did 30 years ago.
If you have any additional questions, send us an email or give us a call at 408-310-4169.
Valley Water’s Water Wise Survey Program
This two-part program will help you save water indoors and out. Sign up for one or both!
- Water Wise Outdoor Survey: Offered to single-family and small multi-family sites (under 1/2 acre). A trained irrigation professional will evaluate the irrigation system, flagging issues onsite, adjusting the irrigation controller, and creating a custom report detailing the survey findings.
- Do-It-Yourself Water Wise Indoor Survey: Customers may request a Do-it-Yourself kit to evaluate indoor water use, including a flow rate bag for testing shower and sink flow rates and dye tablets to test toilets for leaks. Included in the kit will be a step-by-step guide to evaluating your own water use, including:
- Meter leak test
- Toilet leak test
- Sink/Shower flow rates
- General indoor leak information
- Booklet that includes space to record your results and a form to fill out to request free conservation items, such as a toilet flapper or low flow showerhead/sink aerator.
To schedule a survey or request a DIY Kit, please call 408-630-2554 or visit the Valley Water website.
Water Conserving Landscape Ideas
Are you looking to upgrade your landscape to one that uses less water? The City has created several attractive and water-conserving public gardens that you may visit for ideas for your own garden.
Valley Water’s Landscape Rebate Program
To help with your landscape conversion, Valley Water’s Landscape Rebate Program is available to all Santa Clara County homeowners, apartments, and commercial sites that make qualifying water-efficient upgrades to their landscape.
This program is designed to encourage residents and businesses to convert approved high water use landscape, such as lawns and pools, to low water use landscape and retrofit existing irrigation equipment with approved high-efficiency irrigation equipment. Sites wishing to participate in the rebate program must complete a pre-inspection and submit an online application for approval before beginning any work on their project. Visit Valley Water’s website for complete details.
Conserving water is always an important aspect of environmental protection and one that can pay off immediately to you in the form of reducing your water bill.
Morgan Hill residents interested in conserving water can receive the following items from Valley Water at no charge:
- Water Wise Garden Information Packet - Save money by following the information in this packet and designing a water-wise landscape. Plant selection, drip irrigation guidelines, and lawn watering information are included.
- Water-Saving Shower Heads and Faucet Aerators - Save water while cleaning up by installing these low-flow water appliances.
- Do-It-Yourself Water Wise Indoor Survey Kit - Includes a flow rate bag for testing shower and sink flow rates, dye tablets to test toilets for leaks, and other information to help you evaluate your indoor water use.
Visit cloud.valleywater.org/shopping-cart to see all available items and to order your free gear or literature, at your convenience.